Executive coaching is a partnership between an individual and their coach. The basic premise in coaching is that we are all capable and creative. Coaching is a deliberate process used to harness this capability and creativity to enhance an individual’s ability to accomplish their goals. In coaching an individual’s decisions and actions remain their own, through the coaching process they are held accountable for keeping their commitments through a confidential and trusting relationship with the coach. The information shared through the process is confidential and does not benefit the Coach. Coaching is different from the services mentioned below, most importantly, the focus is on moving forward not focussing on the past.
Coaching takes place through a series of interactive conversations that are scheduled on a regular basis either in face to face meetings or via phone. The conversations are focused on what the individual needs to accomplish. The coaching interaction helps individuals leverage their skills and knowledge to move forward with their goals, it allows participants to focus. A Coach creates a safe environment to listen, ask questions, reflect back, challenge and acknowledge the individual. A Coach will champion, advocate and provide authentic feedback to support the individual’s growth and development.
Executive Coaching is not …
- an answer for performance issues
- a friendly conversation over coffee
- providing advice or solutions
- a “quick” solution or a fast way out
How could you use an Executive Coach?
- Establishing a vision of what you want to accomplish
- Brainstorming strategies
- Building your goals and development plan
- Designing action steps that will lead to greater effectiveness
- Assist you in discovering what is the next step to achieve a goal or learn a new skill
- Competency development
- Authentic feedback
- Attaining clarity
- Successful role transition
- Encouragement and validation
- Exploring possibilities and building on past success
- Insights – gaining different perspectives into yourself and your business relationships
- Guide you in creating realistic timelines by which to accomplish the desired outcomes
- Help you continue with your commitment to your action plan
- Maintain your focus and vision throughout the journey
- To assess and improve important working relationships
- A sounding board
- Encourage you to sustain a behavioural change
- Understand and anticipate obstacles that could prevent you from achieving your outcomes
What is the impact of coaching?
- Builds employee engagement and leadership capacity
- Supports leaders to deliver on organizational goals
- Assists in the development of management effectiveness
- Quicker transition period for leaders new in position
- Improved communications
- Stronger working relationships
Rehana Doobay is the CEO of The Talent Company (www.thetalent.co) and is responsible for creating, communicating, and implementing the vision, mission, and overall organizational strategy. Rehana also leads The Talent Company’s Leadership and Executive Coaching Practice.
Rehana has over 20 years of experience in corporate HR roles supporting clients in information technology, financial services, retail and sales. Her areas of specialty include organizational effectiveness, leadership, employee development, talent attraction and retention. She previously held the position of Vice President, Human Resources and Chief Talent and Diversity Officer at Shoppers Drug Mart and Vice President, Human Resources at American Express.
Her years supporting Fortune 500 companies across Europe and North America led her to pursue her passion for coaching, gaining certification in Executive Coaching from Royal Roads University. She is attentive to the individual needs of her clients and their organizational goals. As a coach, she is able to work with clients to refine a clear roadmap to success that is reflective of their personal potential and business needs. Rehana is committed to helping individuals and organizations reach extraordinary outcomes through coaching and leadership development.
For more information on The Talent Company and our offerings please contact Rehana directly at 1-866-973-9150 or via email at email@example.com